Tough love proponents recommend parents recognize they have the power in a family. If a child is misbehaving or wreaking havoc on a family, it’s up to the parents to create change. Here are some specific principles of tough love parenting:
- Parents need to be the authority figures in their home.
- Parents have a huge influence on their kids and need to set an example they can learn from.
- Parents need to send consistent and clear messages to their children.
- Parents can’t directly change their kids but can change their behavior to bring about changes in their kids.
- Parents are not to blame when teens have problems; it is the teen who chooses to continue the inappropriate behaviors that impact the entire family.